Re: getting an image from gtkdrawingarea

Thanks for both the replies.  They have given me some good ideas.

Paul,
When I was putting together a small example I realised I wasn't having the same problems that I have in my big app.  I was assuming the problem was scale beforehand.

Richard,
I realised that my expose event was actually being bogged down with some extraneous code that I was able to optimize.  This has helped out a lot with the speed (I can't believe I didn't realise this earlier).

I still think the speed could improve however, since sometimes I do see the grey bg.  Your idea of drawing to a pixmap is a good one, one I didn't think I could do before.  After looking at the cairo API some more I discovered the call cairo_xlib_surface_create_for_bitmap().  I haven't messed with it yet, but it looks like I can use this to draw to a pixmap.

BTW - I do have an animation but it is controlled by the user, so there is no need to animate when it isn't being displayed, which reduces some of the complexity.  I also know when I need to animate and when I don't, so it would be possible to use a regular and optimized draw function if necessary.

Mike