font sizing question

Hello,

I've bumped into a problem with an app I've been working on, and have been having some trouble determining the cause. On one system (Intel i815-based) that I use, I run the app, and everything looks as it should. If I move the drive (swappable drive) to another unit (Intel i830-based), the fonts are smaller. It is running an XFree86 4.3.0.1, with gtk2. It is running in 640x480 24bpp resolution. The X driver (i810) is used for both sets of hardware. As far as I can tell, the differences are basically in hardware only (with the proper modules for hardware support).

I am looking to figure out how the font sizes are determined. Is there something that queries a driver (X, kernel, etc?) to figure out how to size a font? Or maybe some hardware-specific routines in a library (gtk, pango, fontconfig, etc) that do this?

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to find this information. If there's a better place to ask, please tell me :) I'm kinda digging through message lists/google looking for any info, but any help or direction is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Ron