Re: autogen and gtk

On Sep 16, 2006, at 7:05 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
This is the trouble I'm having with autogen now. It must need to be
installed before gtk+ can be. I don't know what is wants.

And herein lies confusion :-).

There are two autogens. One is the autogen that works with gettext, and is a separate software package. You don't need that.

The other is autogen.sh, which is a shell script included with any of the GTK programs, and countless other programs. All it does is run autotools, with some special checks and whatnot. Nothing special is needed, other than automake, autoconf, etc.

Now, one further point: even if your machine doesn't have autotools, you don't need autotools to build autotooled programs - you only need autotools to modify the build systems of autotooled programs. You can run configure && make && make install without autoconf, automake, or anything like that.

So, just do

./configure && make && make install

in a freshly-extracted tarball to build GTK. Then see what happens.

- Michael