Re: Color sharable question regarding gdk_colormap_alloc_color()

Yeti wrote: Sharing of colours means sharing of colourmap entries.

All the colour allocation stuff dates back to the pre-direct
colour era when only a limited number of colours were
available.  The table of all available colours is called
colourmap, sometimes its entries were changeable, sometimes
even didn't.  Applications were fighting for colourmap
entries with other applications that wanted entirely
different colours...

Shareable means the application says `I want a colour at
least a bit similar to this' to the windowing system and
the windowing system assigns to it a colour from the
colourmap.  Other applications that wish a similar colour
can obtain the very same colourmap entry, therefore our
application must not change the entry to a different
colour.

Non-shareable means the application says `I want a colour
and I want to change it later' to the windowing system and
it gets an entry in the colourmap that no one else uses.
(Well, at least not at the same time.)

Thanks Yeti for your explanation. I still have a question. So what youre saying is no two application can allocate same color when writable option is set to TRUE while using gtk_colormap_alloc_color(). Is that true? If that's true then how come I can use the same allocated color (when both of these applications are running) to draw a picture?

--DC

Experience Live Search from your PC or mobile device today. http://www.live.com/?mkt=en-ca