Re: [GTK] Suggestion: make panels graggable

Em Terça, 10 de Outubro de 2006 03:31, o Michael Torrie escreveu:
> On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 21:54 -0400, Philip Ganchev wrote:
> > Not all content inside a window should be draggable, only inactive
> > content, like the part of the menu bar that is not taken up by the
> > menu, and spece on a panel that is not taken up by active controls
> > like buttons, menus, lists, etc.  Does the window manager have
> > knowledge about what part of the window content is a panel versus a
> > button?
>
> While, as others have said, moving the window around is normally in the
> purview of the window manager, GTK could do as you suggest.  It is
> possible that GTK could capture mouse events over inactive areas and if
> the user tries to drag an inactive area, GTK can send X11 hints that the
> window is to be moved (bypassing the window manager).  I've actually
> implemented this for a special program that displayed on the old KDE
> login window where there was no window manager present.  I made a
> special area in the GTK window that I captured drag events and used
> those to move the window.  XMMS does this too, as its windows are not
> decorated (and thus moved) by the window manager at all.
>
> The real question is, should GTK do this?

 GTK+ already does something similiar for re-sizing with the GtkStatusBar
where a "resize grip" can be enabled (and is enabled by default). So it
shouldn't come as of surprise if GTK+ would allow for this.

> I would far rather favor an
> approach where a modifier key plus a mouse drag moves the window.  It's
> more consistent this way and less confusing to the end user.  On Gnome
> and Metacity, this is already accomplished by alt-click dragging.

 This does seem like something quite intuitive (Joe user hardly figures out
the Alt thing). Would be cool to know what Gnome HIG guys have to say about
such a feature.

> > there is at least 1 window manager that implements each model.
> >
> > In popular window managers like KWin, Sawfish, Metacity and others,
> > Alt+Button1 starts moving the window by default.  I was talking about
> > using *only* the mouse for this.  In some applications, like Real
> > Player and iTunes, clicking on an area that is not an active widget
> > (like a button) and dragging, drags the window.  I would think that
> > this has to do with the tool kit those applications use.
>
> Personally I think we should leave this as it is.  There are far more
> important things in GTK that deserve the developers attention.  Things
> that will help GTK to become faster, more flexible, and more powerful.
> (Maybe a file dialog box that doesn't frustrate people? :)

 Obviously this shouldn't be a priority issue. I would suggest to bug this as
a wish.

Cheers,
 Ricardo

--
Illinois isn't exactly the land that God forgot -- it's more like the
land He's trying to ignore.