Re: [GTK] Suggestion: make panels graggable

On Oct 8, 2006, at 11:01 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 02:31 -0400, Philip Ganchev wrote:
I would like to have panels draggable, similar to Apple iTunes.  That
is, you click on the panel and drag the mouse to move the window.  It
makes it very easy to move windows using just the mouse, because it
eliminates the need to aim the mouse at the title bar. Most
applications have empty panel space, for example in the menu bar that
is not occupied by the menu itself.

How feasible is this? Probably this would require tight coupling with
the window manager?  If it is possible, I guess it would be
implemented in GTKBox or GTK

this has nothing to do with GTK. it is controlled 100% by the window
manager (although you could undermine that and move the window from
within the app).

just choose a window manager that allows this kind of behaviour. i don't happen to like the specific behaviour you are describing, but i do have
icewm set up so that Alt-F7 lets me start dragging the window directly
under the mouse. there are other models for doing this, and i am sure
that there is at least 1 window manager that implements each model.

In my experience, it appears that it is possible for a window manager to control mouse action based on the event mask for a particular X window. For example, if you have a drawing area widget that doesn't have the event mask set to receive left mouse events, the window manager can then, if it wants, allow the window to be moved by dragging that area of the window. The only window manager I've seen that does this is wmii. In my experience with that WM, it does seem that various non-interactive regions drawn by GTK (such as empty toolbar regions, panels, etc.) have their event masks set appropriately to allow this.

That then does cast this feature firmly into the realm of window manager implementation. And it does seem to be possible for a WM to do this for non-interactive areas (providing the application is good about how it sets event masks), and not just by overriding a modifier.

- Michael