Re: gtk layering

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 18:42 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> Sounds to me more and more that X11 is more irrelevant to gtk and gdk.

Ideally Gdk should have an abstraction layer sufficient that only a thin
gdk backend layer is needed for any windowing system, such as X11 or
Win32.  This is becoming a reality.  There used to be a lot of X11-isms
both in Gtk and Gdk in the past.  Things are much more portable now.
Gdk does still needs to know how to talk to X11 (just like on windows it
needs to talk to the win32 GDI).  It's that part that is rewritten to
talk to a framebuffer directly, or to Win32.

This is off-topic, but it's my opinion the framebuffer target is most
often not going to buy you anything.  On embedded devices you may as
well run the kdrive tiny X server rather than use the framebuffer since
if you use the framebuffer, GdkFB has to implement windowing itself,
which is just doing things that Kdrive and a good tiny window manager
already do well.

Michael