Scaling in pixbuf engine

Hi,

I'm uncertain about the rendering path used when images are loaded in
the default pixbuf engine. Suppose that I specify in an rc file that
some image file should be used as a background for a widget. The
pixmap engine then instantiates a GdkPixmap to hold the image data,
and associates it to the widget.

When rendering comes along, does the Gtk+ client process or the X
server perform the scaling? I would imagine this occurs in the UI
program's address space, with the result being shipped to the server
via an XShmImage or similar. I hesitate, however, because GdkPixmap
has at least one constructor (gdk_pixmap_new_foreign) which makes the
resulting object basically a manager of a remote X11 resource. If
that's true, I could understand why the scaling is done server-side.

--Matt