Re: problem linking 'pango-1.14.4'

Sergei,

[snip]

X_LIBS = -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11
.

Please pay attention that '-L/usr/lib' comes before '-L/usr/X11R6/lib' -
otherwise it doesn't work - I'm not quite sure why.

Check out

$ man g++
$ man ld

Read the sections on -L and -l flags.  First of, The reason -L/usr/lib has to come first is so that it finds the right version of libXrender first.  The linker stops looking for the library once it finds a match.

The real issue is that you're not searching standard system locations. My guess is your passing the -nostdlibs argument to the linker, which the manpage tells me means, "Do not use the standard system libraries when linking."

So, my main question:

is it a flaw in 'configure' of 'pango' or in directory structure and
library organization of MEPIS/Ubuntu ?

[snip]

Depends.  I'm guessing configure is compiling the test programs differently than the main target. That could be a bug in configure, or pango development's fault for not using the same flags.

You might look into using a chroot system to completely isolate yourself from the rest of the system so that these types of errors don't get any worse.  I haven't much experience with it, but you might look at debian package maintainer instructions for building packages with pbuilder or something to get some ideas.

Cheers,
Paul