Re: v2.10.6 configure unhappy on Redhat Enterprise Linux box

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 03:35:55PM -0800, steve kirby wrote:
>   Trying to install gtk+-2.10.6 on a Redhat Linux box............,

RHEL5 contains pretty recent versions of everything.

>   Have installed all of the packages listed under "Dependencies", i.e. pango, Glib, etc.
>
>   ./configure is yielding a few errors like:

Do you see these errors in normal configure output (not just
in config.log)?

>   ==================================================
>
>   configure:2898: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> conftest.c:2: error: parse error before "me"
>   (don't know what to make of this)

This is a test for gcc and the program is expected to fail
to compile if the compiler is gcc.

>   configure:4289: gcc -E  conftest.c
> conftest.c:10:28: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
>   (ac_nonexistent sounds like a script variable but it isn't dereferenced)

Again, this test tries to find out what the preprocessor
does with nonexistent headers and the preprocessing is
expected to fail.

>   onfigure:5144: g++ -c -g -O2  conftest.cc >&5
> conftest.cc: In function `int main()':
> conftest.cc:25: error: `exit' undeclared (first use this function)

Again, this test tries several variants of exit()
delcaration until the right one is found -- and until then
the compilations are expected to fail.

Etc.

>   ==============================================================
>
>   Usually "configure" works right out of the box.

Usually exactly the same failures occur, because they are
normal/expected.  You just don't *see* them (unless you look
into config.log -- try it on some machine where configure
works normally).  >&5 redirects both stdout and stderr of
the test commands to filedescriptor 5 (config.log),
sometimes the error output is redirected to something else
(this is the worse case because configure makes decisions
based on the error output and it probably doesn't get it
when it goes to the terminal).  If the redirection behaved
normally you would not see the errors.

So, what you have done to your shell?

Yeti

--