GtkFB: Does it work?

Hello,

I'm trying to get the framebuffer backend in GTK 2.4.9 to work. I can (cross-)compile it, it starts on my embedded board, but I can see only a white screen. Except with gtk-demo, there is at least a gray shape of the GtkNotebook widget visible. Also an application with only a window and an image in the middle is displayed as an entire white rectangle which has the size of the window.
Disabling the shadow-fb implementation didn't help.

Was someone able to get GtkFB to work in 2.4 and can give me some hints where to start to resolve this problem? Is GtkFB even usable or should I drop it and turn to X-server or DirectFB?

Currently I use Gtk 2.0.9/DirectFB over the same framebuffer device. Runs fine, but since I discovered a memory leak with treeviews in this old Gtk version I need to update to a newer version. I don't want to use the newest GTK 2.8 version because I'm concerned that the additional cairo library could slow things down.

Hannes