Re: How to stack widgets or GtkFixed doesn't seem to work well for stacking

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 10:55 -0500, Matt Hoosier wrote:
> I'm a co-worker of the original poster on this thread. Part of the
> trouble with using a new dialog is that it allocates a new X11 window,
> which is not guaranteed to be alpha blended with the parent window.
> Platforms with a compositing X server support this, but that's a
> little more difficult to get with a minimalistic X server on embedded
> devices.

please explain why alpha blending a dialog with its parent is important
on a "minimalistic X server on embedded devices". most people see this
as GUI chrome unrelated to actual function most of the time.

you won't get alpha blending from any existing GTK widgets either -
widgets in GTK are opaque. if you want alpha blending you need to find a
canvas object and not use widgets to draw.

--p