No rule to make target `mkinstalldirs' ! glib and Gtk+

Trying to compile cvs version of glib and Gtk+ have 2 issues:

(1) autogen.sh complains about automake must be version 1.7.x
     Does it not work with versions 1.9.x ???

Well I can fix the check or install old version of automake. But anyway I get
same error after configure.

(2) make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ml/project_delta/test/glib'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `mkinstalldirs', needed by `all-am'. Stop.

Have been spending several hours now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Martin Lütken