From: gtk-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:gtk-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Philip Kisloff
Sent: 16 March 2006 12:27
To: gtk-list gnome org
Subject: GNOME fails to load after installing Pango and GLIB et al

HI everyone.

Please could someone help me? I have been learning Linux for only a few weeks, and have hit a major problem trying to install the precursors for GTK+ 2.8.15 yesterday.

The symptoms are explained almost exactly in Bugzilla 111821 https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list.cgi?buglist=111821. Specifically, I get

(xconf. Py:5568): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: specified class size for type ‘PangoXftFontMap’ is smaller than the parent type’s ‘PangoFontMap’ class size.

(xconf. Py:5568): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed.

/usr/share/redhat-config-xfree86/redhat-config-xfree86: line 2: 5568 Segmentation fault
python 2.2 /usr/share/redhat-config-xfree86/xconf.py $@

I first installed the latest releases of pkg-config, then GLIB, then Cairo then Pango and then ATK. When I tried to install GTK+ it gave me the following error

configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.8.5    atk >= 1.0.1    pango >= 1.9.0    cairo >= 0.9.2) were not met.

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS environment variables

to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the pkg-config man page for more details.

It was after I installed again using ./configure –profile /usr that things stopped working.

Bugzilla comment from Jakub Jelinekon said to see duplicates in /etc/ld.so.cache. Specifically

Libnss_wins.so , libnss_windbind.so, libattr.so and libacl.so both exist in /usr/lib/ and /lib/

libGLU.so and libGL.so exists in /usr/lib/ and /usr/X11R6/lib/.

I’m so new to Linux, I don’t know how to amend this file, as it is compiled when I view it with vi.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Phil