Thread-generated signals

Hi.

I wonder if there is a recommended way from one thread to cause a signal or
any other sort of event to be delivered in a main loop running in another
thread?

I mean, I have a thread running the Gtk+ main loop of a GUI, and a second
thread doing a very specific work (using libseex and libao, in my case).
When some points of the work of the second thread are reached, I want some
changes in the GUI. I could just use a pair of gdk_threads_enter() /
gdk_threads_leave() and do the update in the working thread, but I do not
find that solution satisfactory. I would rather have the working thread to
just send some sort of signal, and let the GLib main loop call a callback in
the GUI thread as soon as it is in a safe state. Is there a good way to do
this?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George