Re: Usability of the GTK+ 2 file open dialog

Michael L Torrie wrote:
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 10:20 +1100, Daniel Kasak wrote:
I'm not so sure about this. I can understand people wanting to have the *option* of overriding the Gtk2 File Open dialog with a native windows one, but I personally prefer the Gtk2 dialog - apart from it currently now knowing about special locations such as 'My Documents', etc. Admittedly, I don't insist on using the keyboard, so I can't comment on how keyboard-friendly it is.

Having the Gtk2 dialog available on all platforms makes writing cross-platform apps a lot easier. It just means I don't have to be as paranoid about testing everything on every platform.

I recall similar arguments about Java swing. They argued that having a
consistent UI for one application across all platforms was more
important than have an app that acted in a consistent way with apps on
any given platform.  I think most people would now agree that the latter
is more important to most end users than the former, which is why we
have the WIMP theme, and Java Swing now looks as close to win32 as it
can on windows.
There's a big difference between having gtk+ themes to look more like windows, and replacing gtk+ functionality with Windows functionality. The argument for having consistent functionality across all platforms is still the winner for me. If people want to theme gtk+ - including the dreaded File Open dialog - to look more like Windows, then great. But arguing to have different functionality on different platforms just because you happen to like the Windows File Open dialog more than gtk's is backwards. If people are so discontent with the gtk+ dialog, then they have 2 options: a) Fix the damned thing, b) Stop using gtk+ and start using native windows widgets. Of course, if you want to develop cross-platform apps, then option b) is out of the question, isn't it?

As for what 'most people' want - a large majority of people want the latest version of Windows XP, MS Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook, and WinAmp. That doesn't stop those who know better from developing Linux, OpenOffice, Firefox, Evolution and xmms. Try these apps out on 'most people' and they will completely freak out. The point is that I would hope that people using gtk+ are trying to push the envelope a bit, and not cater for the lowest common denominator. I think if people are at the point where a gtk+ File Open dialog is too mind-blowingly different to what they expect, then the rest of gtk+ will be too.
The GTK2 dialog, as it currently stands and is used by apps, cannot be
replaced cleanly by the win32 dialog boxes anyway (or by KDE dialog
boxes when using KDE integration) under all circumstances without
sacrificing some functionality,
Exactly.

--
Daniel Kasak