Re: Usability of the GTK+ 2 file open dialog

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:19:13 +-0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Your user model is obviously different than mine because I very much
> prefer the new file-chooser over the old one. The problem is to find
> something that works well for the majority of GTK+- users and I believe
> that the new file-chooser dialog does a pretty good job at this. But
> of course it would need some research to find out.

Not counting GTK+-/Gimp developers, I know of only 2 people who prefer the
new dialogs. The responses from others ranged from "old one was better" to
"get me the head of whoever designed this" (this one came from a developer
that uses GTK+- in his application, and who implemented the native Win32
dialogs in his program when running on windows).

I remember the disappointment I felt when I first saw the hyped new file
open dialog box, when it was nothing I expected it to be given what an
improvement it was supposed to be.

BTW, about bookmarks - they'd be much more usable if they appeared above
the predefined items, not on bottom (on Windows, there's easily 10-20 of
these).

--
< Jernej Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0- >< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >
< Contact address: >< jernej simoncic at isg si >