GTK Performance on Athlon

A few months ago, I bought an HP Athlon PC and installed SuSE 9.2.  The system clock took off at warp speed (about three times normal speed).  When I emailed SuSE, they told me that the BIOS does not provide a solid real-time clock interrupt.  (One side-effect of the warp speed system clock was I could not “double click” on anything.)  They felt that they may have a fix for this problem in SUSE 10.0.  It may be that the Athlon clock fix in SUSE 10.0 is what is hindering your GTK performance.  I really hope this isn’t your problem.

BTW – I have since returned to using my old 1.7 GHz PC (assembled myself) to run Linux.  I won’t be taking any chances on the Athlon in the future; that’s just too much money to spend on a machine that doesn’t play nicely with my preferred flavor of Linux.

  Michael Kahn