Re: Scrolling performance

Hi again,

I'm suspecting you're addressing me with that comment. ;)
Well, maybe ;)
When I wrote the original post I was quite frustrated since I was
unhappy about GTKs performance since a long time (I used FC3 (2.4) and
FC4(2.6) and now OpenSuSE 10.1 (2.8), my laptop died (2.6ghz) and now
I've to work on an Athlon-1000 where all gtk programs are the same
oder of magnitude slower than on my laptop, I just can feel it much
more because of the slowness of the machine itself.

Because usually the person complaining disappears before providing useful
info like this:
Well I understand that this leads to frustration over the time. I am
too one of those guys crying very loud, however I am a java-programmer
working with Eclipse since about 2 years. I can choose between a slow
GTK2 interface or an unuseable but fast Motif based, and that for the
tool I work most of the time with :-/
So ... yes I am interested in investing time to at least help abit
with informations ;)

For now my timeframe is *very* limmited (my current project has its
deadline about 2-3 weeks), but I am of course I am willed to help. I
would also be willed to get my hands on code ... if someone would be
patient enough to help me at the beginning ;)

I did some oprofiling, however I don't have a vmlinz-file handy so its
quite a bit useless:
    5558 39.2930 no-vmlinux
    2116 14.9593 libfb.so
    1319  9.3248 nvidia_drv.so
    1031  7.2888 Xorg
     603  4.2630 libqt-mt.so.3.3.5
     550  3.8883 libc-2.4.so
     470  3.3227 libgobject-2.0.so.0.800.5
     416  2.9410 libcairo.so.2.2.3
     337  2.3825 libglib-2.0.so.0.800.5
     304  2.1492 libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.800.10
     272  1.9229 libpango-1.0.so.0.1001.1
     201  1.4210 libX11.so.6.2
     177  1.2513 libpthread-2.4.so
     155  1.0958 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.800.10

I'll take a closer look at this later tonight - the kernel I have booted at the
moment doesn't have oprofile support.
Thanks for looking into this.

lg Clemens