Re: Scrolling performance

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

(1.6Ghz CPU, 768M of RAM, and an NVidia 440Go chipset), hardly a screamer
Well but it should be enough to handle these simple tasks very fast.
If QT can do it fast, GTK should be able too.

I just wonder why QT performs that well (and many other toolkits I've
used too like FOX or FLTK) but everytime it comes down to bad
performance of GTK the following things happen:
1.) Not even one comment from a developer. Maybe there are not enough,
maybe nobody cares, ore maybe they can't cope with critic? I don't
know.
2.) Some fans respond that on their machines its working fast enough.
Fighting against that one that brought up the topic to show him that
their favourite Gui toolkit is not as weak as it looks.
3.) The discussion dies with or without a flame.
-> no result, nothing changes.

I run GTK+ 2.8 on a 400MHz Pentium II box (512MB, Slackware 9) every day without any noticeable performance problems. At one time or another I have used pretty much all versions of GTK+ on this machine without any performance problems. In fact I just installed all the latest libraries last night and didn't experience any performance problems with any programs I linked to the new libraries.

Your performance problem is most likely configuration or distribution-specific. Thus the lack of response from the developers. The discussion founders because nothing needs changing except perhaps your system, which your fellow travelers can only help with up to a point because most of us don't have your specific setup.

I will say that it not a good sign that problems like yours can't be diagnosed easily. The accretion of mass and complexity in the OS and GUI is making it increasingly difficult to determine where to start troubleshooting.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab              They never open their mouths
New Mexico State University         without subtracting from the
Box 30001, MSC 3CRL                 sum of human knowledge.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                 -- Thomas Bracket Reed (1839-1902)