Re: Scrolling performance

On 6/20/06, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy gmail com> wrote:
I recently updated to OpenSuSE 10.1 since some people suggested that
Eclipse/GTK's performance is better with gtk 2.8.
My machine is a Athlon 1000 with 512mb SDram and a GeForce FX5200 with
latest NVidia binary drivers, renderaccel enabled.

GTK applications tend to be very unresponsive compared to other toolkits:

Hi Clemens,

I've not tried suse 10.1, but older suses used to install a theme
engine for gtk which tried to copy the current KDE theme. It always
caused me problems: it was slow, very ugly, and had repaint errors.
Maybe it's better than it used to be, but if you have not disabled it,
I think it's worth trying without.

I forget what the package you have to remove is called, maybe try something like

 rpm -q a | grep -i gtk | grep -i engine

(untested) and see if it lists any theme engines. GTK on the default
theme should be fast.

John