Button background colors

I am using Gtk 2.8.18.

I would like to know how to set the background color in a GtkButton.

I cannot set the background in a style, theme, or resource file because I am programming to requirements that specify different background colors for different buttons.

I have tried using gtk_widget_modify_bg on the button, using all combinations of creating the button with and without a label.

I also tried gtk_widget_modify_base.

I have tried using gtk_widget_set_style:

GtkStyle  *BtnStyle;

BtnStyle = gtk_style_new();

BtnStyle->bg[0] = BGColor;  /* BG Color is a GdkColor that works nicely setting colors in TextViews */

BtnStyle->bg[1] = BGColor;

gtk_widget_set_style ( Button, BtnStyle );

I have tried using gtk_widget_modify_style:

GtkRcStyle  *ModStyle

ModStyle = gtk_rc_style_new();

ModStyle->bg[0] = BGColor;

ModStyle->bg[1] = BGColor;

ModStyle->color_flags[0] |= GTK_RC_BG;

ModStyle->color_flags[1] |= GTK_RC_BG;

gtk_widget_modify_style ( Button, ModStyle );

I repeated the above process using foreground colors and then tried it setting both foreground and background.

I repeated both the gtk_widget_set_style and gtk_widget_modify_style processes just before calling gtk_main.

I used gtk_widget_get_parent to get the parent container of the button (once again just before calling gtk_main since gtk_widget_get_parent returns NULL prior to calling gtk_widget_show on the Main Window) and tried using all of the above processes (gtk_widget_modify_bg, gtk_widget_modify_base, gtk_widget_set_style, and gtk_widget_modify_style).

I have put an EventBox around my button, yielding an idiotic-looking colored border around the button.

I have put an EventBox inside my button, and it fills the center of the button with color but leaves a wide non-colored margin around it.

It is utterly inconceivable that this process should be so difficult.  To change the color of buttons in Motif is trivial – I use the XtSetArg process before creating the widget and simply have to set XmNbackground to the RGB value that I want.  Motif then takes this basic background color and automatically figures out the colors needed for top, bottom, and activate shadows.  The concept of a big green green button to start a process and a big red button to abort/stop/terminate a process is so universal that it can be found on everything from 1920s machine tools to the latest military and commercial aircraft control panels.  Thus I am expected to be able to emulate this with the buttons on my GUI.  So far, I have failed utterly with GTK.

My web searches led me to try some of these processes – in particular, Havoc Pennington’s “GTK colors mini-FAQ” is what led me to try using the gtk_widget_get_parent to get the container widget for the button.

I have even tried traversing the entire ancestor tree by using a loop to continue calling gtk_widget_get_parent until it returned NULL.  Only the MainWindow returned TRUE to GTK_WIDGET_NO_WINDOW( ), which means I managed to set the background of the Main Window but nothing else, despite trying gtk_widget_modify_bg on the entire ancestor tree.

Please tell me how I can set the background color of my GtkButtons to different colors.

Thanks,

  Michael Kahn