question: connecting to mysql

Hi all,
i am a beginner in GTK PHP and i have problem connecting to MySQL 5.0.18. I am using GTK-PHP2 with PHP5. I use @mysql_connect, so i cant see the error message. But if I use just mysql_connect, then i got the following error message: Fatal:error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in XXX on line XXX .
With PHP5 (classic, no GTK), the connection is working, so I have no idea what's the problem.
Thanks in advance,
                                                        Andi