Re: gtk/g_object_compat_control error after upgrading Ubuntu

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:08:23AM +0000, Dave Kuhlman wrote:

> I do not have eu-readelf on my machine.  I will have to go looking for it.

It seems Debian does not contain elfutils.  Granted, it used
to have an idiosyncratic license, but now it is GNU GPL so
hopefully it will get to Debian too.

> I do not need to build gtk+ from source right now, but will likely need to do
> so in the future.  I will have to try to remember this problem

I wrote this a hundered times but I will repeat it again and
again...

Do not install libraries to /usr/local while you have
another version of the library installed by your distro, it
is a reciepe for troubles.

Use the packaging system.  Take advantage of the packaging
system.  It is not so hard to build a package of a newer
version if you have the source package of the current one.
Also look at backports, the version you need can be already
there.

Yeti

--
Anonyms eat their boogers.