Re: Window's library's and Linux's library's differences

johannes_vuori web de writes:
 > I am developing a project with a friend. We are on the search for a
 > good 2d graphics library,

Well, GTK+ isn't really a "2D graphics library". Maybe you are using
the term loosely, or should you look on cairo instead?

 > I would like to ask if the library for Windows and Linux use the
 > same function names.

Of course, it wouldn't make any sense otherwise, would it?

(There are a few platform-specific functions that have x11 or win32 in
their names, but they are very special-case.)

 > So, if I would write this programm on a Linux system, would it be
 > possible to simply install the Windows library on the Windows
 > system, and without changing the names of the functions (of the
 > library) in my programm, to compile it?

If you program otherwise is portable, and if you take into
consideration some relatively straightforward rules of thumb to
follow, sure. (See http://www.iki.fi/tml/fosdem-2006.pdf )

It's best to build and test on both platforms continuously while
developing the software, not just as a last-night effort, only to
notice that you have made some fundamental nonportable design choice
right at the start...

 > Is there also a c++ version for Windows?

With C++ "version" I guess you mean gtkmm, which really isn't a
"version", but a C++ binding on top of GTK+. Anyway, as far as I know,
yes. Have never used it myself, though.

--tml