Re: GTK 2.10 compilation help

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:51:59 -1000, Joseph Kowalski said:

> > From: Trond Hasle Amundsen <t h amundsen usit uio no>
> > Valdis Kletnieks vt edu writes:
>
> > > 2) Sun's compiler is actually standards-busticated, and defining that just
> > > *seems* to work, but papers over any deficiencies. Also bad news.
>
> Aside:

> Sun's compilation system is actually the "Gold Standard" of standards
> conformance.  Since I work for Sun, I don't expect you to take my word for
> it. If you can find contacts in the standards groups, ask them.
>
> I hope these aren't fighting words.  If you disagree, please keep it to
> yourself and just dismiss the above as one lunatic's delusion.

Listed for completeness only.  I was enumerating all the possibilities, and
later on, said that quick investigation indicated this wasn't the case.

(And though Sun's *current* stuff seems to be quite good, there's still a lot
of legacy boxes out there - just in the last month, I actually had somebody ask
how to get Sendmail 8.13.7 (just released) to compile on a Solaris 2.5.1 box.
Fortunately for my sanity, I sent back a snarky "The same way you got 8.13.6 to
build" - and I got back a "Thanks, that worked". I decided not to ask further,
as there are some things Man Was Not Meant To Know. :)

> Goodness and truth should be found in selecting the appropriate -X[c|a|t|s]
> flag and probably setting -D__EXTENSIONS__ on the cc command line.

-X.  *that* was it.  Why was I totally unable to find that when I was looking
at the manpages and *looking* for the compiler switch that did that? :)

<makes mental note to double-check if that particular Sun box actually has the
compilers installed - almost all of my coding on *that* box has been shell and
perl scripts.  And then figure out what I found that convinced me there were
multiple personalities available, if I wasn't finding -Xa in the manpage..>