Re: GTK 2.10 compilation help

Valdis Kletnieks vt edu writes:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:59:05 +0200, Trond Hasle Amundsen said:
>
>> Try this patch:
>
>> +#define __STDC__ 1
>
> Ick. :)
>
> There's 3 possibilities here:
>
> 1) Sun's compiler is actually standard-compliant, but doesn't define that
> symbol itself.  Not sure how/why it would do that.
>
> 2) Sun's compiler is actually standards-busticated, and defining that just
> *seems* to work, but papers over any deficiencies. Also bad news.
>
> 3) Sun's compiler has multiple personalities (ANSI, K&R, etc), selected by
> invoking under different names/flags. Setting $PATH and/or $CC correctly to
> select an ANSI personality should make it work without having to hack the
> source.
>
> A quick perusal of the nearest Solaris 9 box I have handy indicates that
> it's the 3rd.

Agreed. It seems like the 3rd, but it may also be that Solaris 8 have
headers which need a certain C personaliy. When I first experienced
this problem a long while ago, I tried setting the C compiler's
personality different ways, but then the compilation failed at other
places in the code. Eventually i gave up and came up with that patch,
which works like a charm and I've used it ever since :)

Regards,

--
Trond H. Amundsen <t h amundsen usit uio no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo