Re: Docs or examples: gnomecanvas.CanvasGroup with pygtk?

Hi Gian,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've found a way to use GnomeCanvas successfully, so I'm going to stick with that for the time being.  I have a friend who's said good things about goocanvas, so perhaps they will become the replacement for GnomeCanvas and I'll use it then.

My problem was that I was doing something like the following:
Step 1: create a CanvasItemRect
Step 2: add that CanvasItemRect to a parent group

It turns out this doesn't work, at least with the python gnomecanvas widgets.  What *does* work is something like this:
myGroup.add("CanvasItemRect", ...)

I'm not sure why the original approach didn't work, since that appears to work in the C version of GnomeCanvas, but at least for now I have something working which I'd like to stick with.

One thing about cairo: my friend said he's seen pretty bad rendering speed when cairo goes to an X11 window.  Have you also found cairo to draw a lot slower than gdk?

Thanks,
Christian

On 7/14/06, Gian Mario Tagliaretti <g tagliaretti gmail com> wrote:
2006/7/13, Christian Convey <christian convey gmail com>:

Hi Christian,

> Can anyone point me to example python code or python docs for this?  I'm
> kind of going nuts.

After reading your email I also tried gnomecanvas and is badly
broken...I will have a look at that and file a bug.

You you want to try a new canvas which uses cairo for rendering, me
and Gustavo we are making python bindings[1] of Damon Chaplin's
goocanvas[2].

We haven't finished yet but is pretty usable, I also wrote some
complete examples in python.

Unfortunatly we depend on CVS for goocanvas and SVN for the bindings
so if you are willing to try you should compile those ones, also
pygtk-2.9.x [3] is required for new features in codegen.

[1] http://webcvs.cairographics.org/goocanvas/
[2] https://developer.berlios.de/projects/pygoocanvas/
[3] http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pygtk/2.9/

let me know if you need something