Docs or examples: gnomecanvas.CanvasGroup with pygtk?

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how to use a canvas group in pygtk.  There's decent C documentation for it, but when I try to guess at the corresponding pygtk usage I get failed C assertions or I get segfaults.  Specifically I'm having trouble creating a canvasitem whose parent is a canvasgroup that I created.

Can anyone point me to example python code or python docs for this?  I'm kind of going nuts.

Thanks very much,
Christian