Re: gtk - install tutorial needed

On Jul 7, 2006, at 2:46 AM, Robert Uhl wrote:
If I didn't have Debian I probably would not be able to use gtk-src at all. It is very easy to say "apt-get install gnome" ... . The reason of this mail is to mention that I tried to install gtk and ALL its dependencies to my home account at university. And this is not my first try! I can not use much of the environment their so I only have my home account to make it go.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html contains instructions for building GTK, along with its dependencies, etc.

You can install to your home directory by giving various packages' configure scripts the appropriate --prefix option (e.g. --prefix=$HOME/gtk), and then using appropriate --with-whatever options and PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable settings for subsequent packages to make sure they find the correct installation.

For example, install glib with a prefix of $HOME/gtk. Then set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to $HOME/gtk/lib/pkgconfig (plus the original value, if appropriate), and continue to build the later packages.

You don't need root so long as you have complete write access to the installation prefix you provide.

- Michael