gtk - install tutorial needed

Hi,

If I didn't have Debian I probably would not be able to use gtk-src at all. It is very easy to say "apt-get install gnome" ... . The reason of this mail is to mention that I tried to install gtk and ALL its dependencies to my home account at university. And this is not my first try! I can not use much of the environment their so I only have my home account to make it go.

I died after/while installing glib. It just takes so much time to read what to do, how to link the libs together and find out the switches I need to install gtk in that home dir to make a hello world program work.

So if you guys have a tutorial which tells me how to install it without needing root that would be lovely. My aim was to find out what the print operation functionality is all about of gtk.

Regards,
Robert.