Re: Cannot download

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:25:40 +0200, Sakari Aaltonen said:
> Is it me is or is it the files? I have been trying to download gtk+ for a
> day or so, but every file I ftp from
>      ftp.gtk.org
> turns out to be bad:

Hmm.. Oddness.  I just double-checked the gtk2+-2.8.8.tar.bz2 you mentioned,
and it appears OK to me.

> And yes - these are BINARY downloads. Ermm - I've been ftp'ing stuff
> for years, but this is the first time I see the error messages above.

Might want to double-check that 'binary' is in fact enabled.

It *is* possible that there's a marginal networking device that has an odd
data-dependent hardware issue, causing corruption of data. Just a few days
ago, somebody I know had an odd problem that turned out to be a line card
in a router near London, which tended to mangle packets that had a string of
5 or more x'd0' characters in it. *THAT* one took a while (and many people)
to track down (the device has since been fixed).

However, I'm not sure that this would cause corruption of multiple different
tar.bz2 files, since they would tend *not* to have similar data sequences in
them....