How to use the GnomeAppBar

I've been using GTK+ for a short time now, and I'm still trying to figure out some of the little things.  (So far I've found this to be an excellent source of great information so thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past).  Anyway, I added a GnomeAppBar at the bottom of my app because I wanted to use its progressbar (GtkProgressBar *).  So when I call gtk_progress_bar_set_fraction() in a loop, nothing happens (that I can see).  Basicly all I end up seing is the last call to gtk_progress_bar_set_fraction().  Am I required to make some call to force it to update on each call inside the while loop?

Thanks for any help,
Travis Miller