building gnome2 via ports [freebsd6] : firefox-gtkmozembed and nspr; ORBIT2_MAYBE_CONST and gnomecontrolcenter-2.2.12.2

I'm bulding gnome2 from the freebsd6 ports collection.
I have a recently cvsupped system, and the build went for several hours
without a problem that wasn't simply an easily rectified  package
dependancy.

During the yelp-2.12.2 buld however, (which is now using the gecko
engine instead of gtkhtml2), the make stopped just after configure for
yelp-2.12.2:

checking whch gecko to use... firefox
checking for firefox-gtkmozembed... gnome-config: not found
gnome-config: not found
Package nspr was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you
should add the .....

I then wen to ports/devel/nspr and did

#make deinstall; make install

 (which built the new nspr as per the recent cvs update)
then returned to the gnome2 build and it continued correctly.

Having had no real luck searching for info about "firefox-gtkmozembed"
library requirements for yelp, or the conection between yelp,
firefox-gtkmozembed and nspr (the Netscape Portable Runtime
platform-neutral API for system and libc-like functions, used by
Mozilla, and Netscape's other browser products) I thought a note was
worth making about this particular scenario.

I should add that I did actually ave a working gnome2 enviroment
running, but I want to have a source based environment I can keep
updated with cvs, and built with my system-, and cpu
architecture-specific CFLAGS. This is why I had to deinstall nspr before
make install -ing. To do this I wrote a script to pkg-delete -r anything
with gnome in it's packagename, before doing a

#make

in ports/x11/gnome2. The problem detailed in this message did not appear
until the subsequent

#"make install"

Another notable, but unrelated point: I also had t modify two struct
definitions- redeclaring them as type const, as apposed to the new
ORBIT2_MAYBE_CONST macro for gnomecontrolcenter-2.2.12.2 to compile.

I'd like to finish up with a big thankyou and congratulations to evryone
- this has been by far the easiest such procedure I've tried with gnome
on any FreeBSD system. Well done.

--
  Aluminium Oxide
  orac000 internet-mail org