Re: GLib 2.9.1 released

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:20:21 PST, ying lcs said:
> How can I use yum to update glib and gtk2?

I'm assuming you're trying to get glib 2.9.1 onto a Fedora system (the current
leading-edge gtk2 for Fedora is currently 2.8.9).

You'll need to add the 'development' repository to your yum configuration.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/sn-using-repositories.html

and see /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo (which should already be on your system).

Most likely, you want to add the repository, do a:

yum update 'glib2*' 'gtk2*'

and then remove the repository.  Otherwise, the next time you do a 'yum update'.
your system will suddenly be upgraded to something near FC5 Test 2 or so.  Also,
there's no guarantee that the update won't pull in other stuff the way RPM does,
causing lots of other things to update.

Also, Fedora Core 5 will almost certainly not ship with glib 2.9.* - it will get
a 2.8.something unless 2.10.0 comes out before FC5 freezes (unlikely in my opinion).
So you'll have a potentially "interesting" time with upgrades....

And of course, take a backup beforehand. ;)