Mixing charaters of various fonts

Hello,
I was answered affirmative to this question, but I want to confirm it:
Does Gtk+ use glyphs from other fonts when showing text in a font when a
character of the text doesn't have a glyph on the chosen font ?
More technically: Does Gtk+ use glyphs from font A when showing text in a font
B when a character of the text doesn't have a glyph on the font B but it has
on font A ?

If so, is it there something needed to make it work ?
I have added some glyphs to FreeSans [1], I set Gtk+ to use FreeSans and make
some texts with those glyphs (that for sure no other font has). Then I change
Gtk+ to use another font. When I display the text I get empty/nothing.
What am I missing ?

Thank you.
--
Pupeno <pupeno pupeno com> (http://pupeno.com)
Vendemos: Conocer y collecionar Monedas y Billetes de Todo el Mundo:

[1] You can see it on my blog at http://pupeno.com/blog/unicode-awesomeness