Re: Gtk on MAC OS X

It took me a couple of weeks, but a hearty thanks to the developers of this list for the awesome pointers. I was able to build a gtk development environment, and using the gimp-app framework to go off of, with the help of Platypus, gimp-app, gtk.org ftp directory, and a ton of mailing list searches, the final product works 'out of the box' with click/go on MAC OS X [only tested on Tiger]

Thanks list,
Calvin
the end product:
http://www.mudmagic.com/mud-client/macintosh_download
http://www.mudmagic.com/mud-client/downloads/MudMagic-1.8.dmg

On 2/12/06, John Cupitt <jcupitt gmail com> wrote:
On 2/12/06, Marius Schamschula <mschamschula gmail com> wrote:
> I'm curious how you build the app under your user directory, but make it
> installable anywhere, given that you specify a fixed prefix.

The prefix is just to make sure all the required files (themes, i18n,
.conf, etc.) get put into the .app directory tree. The wrapper script
determines the install directory at runtime then sets lots of
environment variables which the various libraries then use to find
their data files.

Actually, now I look at the .dmg on the site, it has been statically
linked to gtk and is missing the magic to start the X11 server (just
"open X11" I think). I think I used to have a more elaborate wrapper
than that, sorry. Perhaps I decided it was simpler to use a static
gtk.

Also I should have said: the apple developer docs have a good chapter
on application packaging. I can't give a URL, you need to sign up to
use the site, but it's easy to find.

John