Relationship between Glib and Gobject

Hello all,

Yesterday I started reading the GLib documentation in-depth, and I was
startled to find that the GLib core does not depend on the GObject system. So
the string library, for example, is not reference-counted.

Furthermore, it appears that while the GLib type system (that is, the gobject
library) provides an encapsulation method (GBoxed), it does not provide any
kind of smart-pointer functionality. You can use a GBoxed string, or you can
put a string in a GValue, but only GObjects have reference counts.

So,
1) Please let me know if any of the foregoing is incorrect or misled.
2) Is there any (easy) way to fudge a smart-pointer in GLib?

Thanks,

--Ian
--
Wiki for Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com/