Re: Prepackaged GTK runtime for MacOSX?

As Michael suggests - you'll want to package the gtk up in your Application.app as gimp-apps did (http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/). You'll want to get the actual source and review that though - opposed to going what is off their website.  Marius has a good reference and downloads for building Gtk on Mac OS X at:
http://www.hmug.org/pub/MacOS_X/X/Libraries/Graphics/gtk+2/
I'm working on porting my own project currently - and it would be very nice to have something such as a gtk-runtime installer to help get gtk programs working on MAC OS X - without requiring multiple 3rd party software installs ( fink or port ).

If you have a simple software program, you can try your luck with Quartz - but after a week of attempting to get it working with my software - I gave it up and went with the Apple X11 aproach.

While here - I might as well post a problem I'm having. I have completed the compile of gtk on MAC. The software program works perfectly - but when I delete the directory that I used for 'make install' for GTK, and place all the *.so and *.dynlib in the proper directories as the gimp-app had done, the Pango bails out with errors when I attempt to startup my app. It is due to the PANGO_RC_FILE setting. With the PANGO_RC_FILE variable set to the location of my pangorc, it loads the pango *.so which I believe are linked hard to the initial install location, opposed to current working directory.

Is there a way to ./configure;make;make install  for pango that will prevent it from relying on a specific location? Unfortunately, looking at pango's source code, I see it takes SYSCONFDIR during compile and uses this throughout the software, thus building a hard dependance on the compiled location and not making an application on MAC very portable. (in my case that is, it works fine with gimp-app )

SO - does anyone know how gimp-app was able to get pango to ignore its SYSCONFDIR throughout the source? I'm using all of gtk's latest CVS distro's.

Thank you,
Calvin

On 2/20/06, Michael Torrie <torriem chem byu edu> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 16:43 -0500, Derek Piper wrote:
>       I'm wondering if there's anything easier than pointing someone at 3
> pages of 'build it from source' instructions on MacGIMP.org. I don't
> think it's reasonable to expect users, especially Mac users, to go
> through all that hassle to use a GTK app - so I must be missing something.
>       Can anyone point me to a binary runtime installer of GTK (at least 2.6)
> for Mac OSX?

On Mac you should probably package everything one needs (the runtime and
app) in a App bundle.  A good example of this is gimp.app (http://gimp-
app.sf.net).  They have pretty good instructions on how they did it. I'm
sure you could borrow large parts of their app bundle.

Michael