Howto handle Invalid UTF-8 string?

Hi all,

>From my program (winefish), some child processes are called and
theirs output will be captured. The IO_channel was used for this
purpose.

The problem is that some children may procedure invalid UTF8 strings
(for example, when LANG=fr_FR and `cat' returns 1 (file not found)).
This causes empty output in gtk_tree_view!!  ( I tried to use NULL
encoding (for IO_channel) but failed )

Question: how to handle invalid UTF8 string?

Thank you for replies.

Regards,

kyanh

PS:
this topic is related to BUG#82 (see BUGS) of Winefish,
http://winefish.berlios.de/