altering shortcuts in a GtkFileChooser widget?

I'm writing an app that uses a GtkFileChooser widget and I'm curious about two things that I can't find much information about.

1.  Is it possible to alter the default 'shortcuts' displayed on the side (in the 'Places' portion of the window)?  I know I can add to these, but I would like to rename and/or relabel the defaults.  On my system the defaults are my username, 'Desktop', and 'File System'.

2.  Is it possible to remove this shortcut portion of the widget or is it possible to just call the portion of the widget that displays the filenames?

Thanks for your help!