Re: Private function

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 18:38 +0300, Andrew E. Makeev wrote:
> Btw, the purpose of question was not to determine why I couldn't call
> that private function using GTK library.
>
> I would to know if I could patch GTK code to make function public and
> use it in my code without having any troubles? And if so, why that
> function was designed as private originally?

Hardly a good idea; no-one else will be able to use your application.

Functions are designated private because creating public API is costly.
If it's in API you have to maintain it; you can't change implementation
details that the API used to hide.

That said, that function does look a good candidate for public API; try
putting a patch together and getting comment on it.

On the other hand, have you tried setting the column to COLUMN_FIXED
while adding data and back to COLUMN_AUTOSIZE afterwards?

Ed