Compiling gtk+-2.10.2 - can't find pangocairo package

Hi all,

I've been unsuccessfully trying to ./configure gtk+-2.10.2 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4).

I've installed cairo and pango successfully, but upon trying to ./ configure --prefix=/usr gtk+, I get the following error:

---
checking Pango flags... configure: error:
*** Pango not found. Pango built with Cairo support is required
*** to build GTK+. See http://www.pango.org for Pango information.
---

Pango is definitely installed. pango.pc exists in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

--
[root server1 ~]# pkg-config --cflags pango
-I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/ include

Looking at the configure file, I see that it's trying to look for a package called "pangocairo". The line in the configure file shows:
PANGO_PACKAGES="pango pangocairo"

When I run pkg-config to search for 'pangocairo', it's not found.

I've gone back to the installation of Pango and found that pangocairo.pc is in the build directory. It's all there but for some reason, make install of Pango doesn't copy pangocairo.pc or any of the pangocairo files into the respective installation directories.

I've tried to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the build directory of pango, which forces gtk+ to configure but when it comes to build time, it fails.

Does anyone know how to build and install 'pangocairo' so that gtk+ can compile without a hitch?

Thanks!

Leonard