Re: Xfree86 for IMX31/ARM11

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 18:49 +0530, harshavardhanreddy mandeepala wrote:
> Hi All,
> Does any body crosscompiled XFree86(Xserver) for ARM processor.
> If so kindly send the procedure .
> My host system is i386 linux (SUSE/FC4)
> Target system is arm (IMX31 freescale processor with ARM11 Core)

Likely XFree86 is a poor choice for an embedded system.  The better
choice is the kdrive X server which is very small and works very well
for small, arm-based devices.
http://kdrive.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXserver

Besides being small, this X serve uses standard autoconf configuration
scripts so the source code can easily be built in a cross-compiling
environment.  The procedure is exactly the same as cross-compiling any
application, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Unfortunately, because of XFree86's antiquated build system, cross-
compiling that beast will be very difficult.  If you're determined to
use a non-embedded X11 system, you'll likely want to use X.org's X
server instead (XFree86 is considered deprecated by most folks) which is
modularized and builds using standard autoconf tools, so cross-compiling
is relatively easy.

Michael