Re: pango on MAC OS X

Thanks Sergei -

What finally got it working was the GTK MAC OSX "build-gtk.sh" script from their website. I did a full OS reload with a vanilla MAC OS X and made sure X11 wasn't installed. I then ran the build-gtk.sh script to build the devel env. I compiled my software and it worked directly out of the box =)

It's a little sluggish - nowhere near as fast in buffering as the X11 version for MAC OS X, but I'm going to stick with this release and keep an eye out for specific MAC updates.

Thanks all for the help and pointers.

For those looking to develop their MAC OS X, gtk+ software - the only thing you need is:
http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx/build-instructions
Once you run the: build-gtk.sh bootstrap - make sure you move all your: /usr/bin/automake* /usr/bin/autoco* files to some other backup directory. Do the same for /usr/share/aclo* /usr/share/autom* directories - as the prescense of these files will confuse the cairo/glib build process.

Calvin

On 8/18/06, Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh yahoo com> wrote:

--- Calvin Ellis <kyndig gmail com> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out why my software on MAC OS X only displays squares
> instead of fonts. So I'm using CVS pango and running into problems getting
> it to compile. Initially it was looking for a gnome-automake.sh, so I
> manually ran the autoconf,automake to create the configure script. I then
> had to edit the configure.in to remove: PKG_CHECK_MODULES [ probably due to
> an outdated MAC autoconf system ]
>
> I've finally managed to get pango to compile but am having linking
> difficulties. the pkg-config didn't run as expected during configure, so I
> hand modified several of the Makefiles. The final linking error I am having
> is:
> make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -L/GTK/lib
> -L/GTK/lib/glib- 2.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv -o
> pango-querymodules  querymodules.o   libpangoft2-1.0.la  libpango-1.0.la
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/pango-querymodules querymodules.o  -L/GTK/lib
> -L/GTK/lib/glib-2.0
> ./.libs/libpangoft2-1.0.0.1.14.dylib/Users/kyndig/Desktop/gtk/pangoAug18/pango/.libs/libpango-
> 1.0.0.1.14.dylib ./.libs/libpango-1.0.0.1.14.dylib -lm
> /GTK/lib/libcairo.2.9.1.dylib /GTK/lib/libfontconfig.dylib
> /GTK/lib/libfreetype.dylib /GTK/lib/libexpat.1.5.0.dylib -lpng12 -lz
> /GTK/lib/libgobject-2.0.dylib
> /GTK/lib/libglib-2.0.dylib/GTK/lib/libintl.dylib
> /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib -lc /GTK/lib/libiconv.dylib
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _g_module_close
> _g_module_error
> _g_module_open
> _g_module_symbol
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[4]: *** [pango-querymodules] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> ================
> Does anyone know what lib I am missing to handle those symbols?
>
> Thank you,
> Calvin
>
> PS: If anyone has succesfully ported their GTK project to the native
> pango/cairo/gtk MAC OS X, I'd be highly interested in any pointers - docs -
> howtos - or software usage examples

Try my tool (see signature), though I never had a chance to run it
on MacOS.

On the other had, I did nothing to make it Linux or Solaris-specific,
so maybe it will also work on MacOS.

My tool builds released (not CVS) versions.

--Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/