Re: variables

On Aug 14, 2006, at 2:37 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Ekstrand" <mekstran scl ameslab gov>
To: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 verizon net>
Cc: <gtk-list gnome org>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: variables
That variable is a variable used by the dynamic linker to locate
shared libraries at run time.

I compiled glib with the default. I didn't turn on shared libraries if I needed to. So if it builds only static libraries by default, that could be
it.

It builds shared libraries by default.

Now, where the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or LIBRARIES_PATH - is that a typo,
or does your distro use a name other than the one used by Debian?)
variable comes in:  several of the gtk-related packages do a check to
make sure the necessary libraries can not only be linked against, but
also found by the dynamic linker at run time, by compiling and
running a test program.  If this is the stage where configure is
failing (some output from configure would be useful in determining
that), then setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the lib directory where the
glib libraries are located should allow ATK to finish configuring.

HTH,
Michael

The test program(s) compile but they do not run. You mentioned changes
made to configure script. I don't have either autoconf or automake
installed. Maybe I better install them.

Which means that it can't find the shared libraries at run time. Try setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the $PREFIX/lib directory where glib's shared libraries are. Running `ldconfig /path/to/glib/ lib` may help also.

Also, you don't need to edit configure at all - I merely ment that it would be helpful for debugging if you posted the output from configure (or at least the relevant error messages) for us to read.

- Michael