Re: variables

On Aug 14, 2006, at 12:00 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    Can someone help explain to me the LD_LIBRARIES_PATH variables?
Pkg-config recognizes several glib related libraries and exports libs. I can get pkg-config to spit out some compiler switches but I don't know where to
put them. I think the above stated variable is the sticky point.

That variable is a variable used by the dynamic linker to locate shared libraries at run time.

About the pkg-config compiler switches, etc.: you don't put them anywhere. You make sure that configure can find pkg-config, and pkg- config can find its module definition files (the *.pc files in $PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig), and then configure asks pkg-config for the compiler flags and inserts them appropriately.

You can, for some collection of pkg-config-checked packages FOO, set FOO_CFLAGS and FOO_LIBS (or FOO_LDFLAGS, not sure which; output of a configure script made using a recent version of the pkg-config autoconf macros will document this) to the output of pkg-config -- cflags and pkg-config --libs, respectively; however, you shouldn't actually need to do this. If pkg-config is in your PATH, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set appropriately if necessary (if you can do pkg- config --cflags glib-2.0 and get meaningful output, then it probably is), then configure should be finding glib properly.

Now, where the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or LIBRARIES_PATH - is that a typo, or does your distro use a name other than the one used by Debian?) variable comes in: several of the gtk-related packages do a check to make sure the necessary libraries can not only be linked against, but also found by the dynamic linker at run time, by compiling and running a test program. If this is the stage where configure is failing (some output from configure would be useful in determining that), then setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the lib directory where the glib libraries are located should allow ATK to finish configuring.

HTH,
Michael