Gtk Style

Can anyone explain how the Gtk Style property of a widget works. Changing the GdkColor properties of a gtk style seem to have no effect, the colors have to be change through the graphic content members.
Changing the foreground color through the graphic contents property affects all the widgets not just the one I specify.
As a matter of fact it does not matter which widget I specify all the widgets change their foreground color.
This does not happen when dealing with the background color gc though.
Does anyone know exactly what properties of a gtk style are used where and what changes are passed along to children ect...?