Mac OS X: error: X development libraries not found

Hi list -

I'm working on porting a gtk software program that runs on linux/windows to MAC OS X. The prior release of my software works fine on Mac (Tiger) with the X11 server. I'm trying the native port. I was able to build my Gtk development environment up to gtk-2.8.20 version ( glib, pango, cairo, atk, etc all installed "ok" ). But when I go to configure gtk, I get the error:  X development libraries not found. I removed all X11 packages to try building a vanilla native Mac devel env.

Looking at configure.in I see:
   else
    have_base_x_pc=false
    AC_PATH_XTRA
    if test x$no_x = xyes ; then
      AC_MSG_ERROR([X development libraries not found])
    fi
There is no switch like in pango, cairo, etc to disable X requirements. Does this mean I have to have X11 devel libraries installed in order to compile? If so, I would assume that means the end user still needs X11 in order to run the software.

I'm attempting to build the Gtk+ env on Mac without having to install Darwin ports or other 3rd party software.

Thank you,
Calvin