Re: signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault for GtkTreeView

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 11:02:38PM +0000, DC A wrote:
> I want to add pixbuf and a string in a single GtkTreeView cell. My code for
> adding these to list store:
>

>   pixbuf = gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file("example.png", &error);
>   model = gtk_list_store_new(3,  GDK_TYPE_PIXBUF | G_TYPE_STRING,
> G_TYPE_INT);

This creates a list store with 3 columns of following types:
1. an invalid type GDK_TYPE_PIXBUF | G_TYPE_STRING
   (GTypes are ugly numbers that definitely cannot be bitwise
   or-ed)
2. G_TYPE_INT
3. some random junk that happens to lie on stack after the
   first two arguments

Therefore

> After compilation I get segmentation fault.

GtkTreeView is based on the Model-View-Controller pattern
thus

*                                                                          *
*          GtkTreeModel columns and GtkTreeView columns are                *
*                  two unrelated sets of columns.                          *
*                                                                          *

A tree *model* column holds one value of a specific type [in
each row].  To create a model with a pixbuf, a string, and
an int in each row, do

   model = gtk_list_store_new(3, GDK_TYPE_PIXBUF, G_TYPE_STRING, G_TYPE_INT);

Now you create a view that consists of some columns and use
cell data functions or column attributte mapping to relate
the view columns to the model columns.  This relation can be
arbitrary -- even none at all in the extreme case.

If you want to pack more cells (i.e., cell renderers) to one
tree *view* column, do just that (examples can be found in
many places, one recent probably not very didactic is here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2006-April/msg00008.html).

Please read the tree view tutorial.

Yeti

--